Thursday, March 29, 2007

Potato Kadhi

Kadhi comes under the "comfort food' category for me. In my house, kadhi is universally loved and Ma would sometimes add Pakoras (fritters), sometimes Potato, sometimes plain Boondi ... served with plain rice and pickle ... it was pure bliss.
This is my sister's recipe. Instead of the Pakoras, I added 2 potatoes, but the basic recipe remains the same. I generally make a large batch and have it over the next couple of days :)
2 cups yogurt
1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
Few curry leaves
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 dry red chillies, broken into two
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp amchoor powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder, divided
4 cups water
Salt to taste
Oil
In a mixing bowl, mix yogurt and besan till smooth and there are no lumps in the batter. Now add 4 cups water and turmeric powder and mix well.
Heat oil in a large pan. Add the hing + mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add the cumin seeds + curry leaves +methi seeds + dry red chilli + chopped onion. Cook on medium heat till the onion begins to brown. Now add the yogurt-besan mix, cubed potato, salt, coriander powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, amchoor powder. Bring to boil, lower heat and cook till the yogurt-besan mix and potatoes are cooked, stirring occasionally. In a small pan, heat a little ghee/ oil and add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder. Mix and pour over the kashi. Garnish with coriander leaves (optional), and serve hot with plain boiled rice and Mango pickle. Enjoy!

4 comments:

FH said...

Hi Sangeeta,I agree.Kadhi is comforting.If you add some Spinach in there ,it will be fantastic and nutritious.Looks great:))

bee said...

never met a kadhi i didn't like. sangeeta, question for you:

this pertains to my jahni posta post. do oriyas call it 'posto' or 'posta'? i know bengalis call it 'posto'.

TNL said...

lovely looking Kadhi...its way up there in my list of "comfort" foods too. Adding onions is something I haven't tried yet...will do so next time. I love the punjabi style kadhi with Pakodis in it....I could just dunk pooris in it and eat it that way!

have a lovely weekend,
trupti

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi,
This is new to me.I never knew you could prepare khadi with poatato too..Will try this.Thanks for sharing.