Sunday, December 03, 2006

Bhindi (Okra) Bhujiya


K and I both love Bhindi (Okra). Lately I haven't been able to find good quality fresh Okra, so I have started using the ones from the frozen section at the grocery stores. This recipe is easy to make and tastes good. Enjoy it with Roti and/ or Rice.

Pooja of Creative Pooja has announced that the vegetable for this week is Bhindi. This is my contribution for the event.

1 packet frozen Bhindi
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2" ginger, finely minced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp amchoor powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil


Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and when they begin to sizzle, add the chopped onion. Cook for a minute and add the frozen Bhindi, chopped garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the dry masalas - cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder. Add salt and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes till all the masalas are mixed and the stickiness lessens. Add salt and chopped tomatoes. Lower heat and cook till the Bhindi and tomatoes are cooked. Add the Amchoor powder, cook for a minute or two and remove from heat. Serve hot with Roti or Rice and enjoy !!

6 comments:

Pooja said...

Hi Sangeeta,
thanks for your comment on my blog !
you also have nice blog here,pictures are also great !
i would like to inform you that Vegetable of this week on my blog is OKRA, if you wish , you can also show case you this recipe with okra. for that all you ahev to do is just post the recipe with picture or the URL only to me , other info abt this is on my blog.
thanks .just thought if you are aware of this or not?
Stay tuned
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

Sangeeta, I make a similar one but without garlic and ginger. I will try your version soon..it looks yummy,

Viji said...

very nice Sangeeta. Less Garlic I will give a try. Viji

Seema Bhat said...

Sangeetha:
your okra looks delicious..nice picture buddy
Cheers
Seema

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey im visiting your blog for the first time.This look nice.Will try and let you know.Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Found the perfect recipe for the pack of Bhindi lying in my freezer for ages.Thx.